You shouldn't label people, just blogs...

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

yes i love geography, but not as much as you, you see...


Ah good old Napoleon Dynamite…

So I took my last final ever today.  Unfortunately, I don’t think it went very well….But hey! At least I’m done!  Hopefully my professor will be feeling generous when he’s assigning points for essays.  I am one of his favorites after all….?

For fun last night, I got on ratemyprofessors.com and went through and read some of the reviews on my professors.  I laughed pretty hard.  I happen to like all my professors, but can definitely relate to what these students complained of.
My personal favorites (from the bitterest of students of course):

Death by powerpoint.”

“He will ask your opinion and it will be wrong anyway.

 “Purposely tries to humiliate students by asking questions they couldn’t possible know the answer to.”

“Embarrasses students no matter what you answer and will call on anyone in class.”

This one is trying to be diplomatic haha!

“He does have a tendency to embarrass students, no matter what you say you will be wrong, but overall he does a decent job of teaching.”

It’s true. That professor does call on you at random, but he claimed it was because he knew I’d have something intelligent to add. (I think it was to punish me for whispering to my fellow peanut gallery members during our seminars).  And as far as giving the wrong answer, we the peanut gallery thought it rather entertaining when he had to ask four people to get the answer he was fishing for.  It’s like a game, “try and guess what your professor is thinking.”  Bonus points if you’re the one who finally hits the nail on the head! (I was good at winning.)

And now, a few more reasons why my professor is amusing:

Reason 1:  He dresses like a tourist.  I always wanted to ask if he was being ironic.  But fearing Tommy Bahama was just his go-to style, thought better of it.

Reason 2:  He whips out quotes like these during class:
While discussing the cruise industry in the Caribbean...
Student: “How many cruises have you been on?”
Professor: “Seventeen, (slight pause) I’m old guys.”

Reason 3:  He writes funny test questions.  (I’m already encroaching on “zoob” status at this point, so I’m just going to admit I laughed audibly when I came across this question during our final today.)
“Your friend told you he wants to spend the summer backpacking by himself in Patagonia.  He is exhibiting what type of tourist behavior?”
a.     midcentric
b.     psychocentric     
c.      psychotic
d.     allocentric
(The correct answer is D, but I found C rather hilarious)

And now to further solidify my nerdom, I’m going to share some geography related humor.  I came across these maps last semester when I was taking a Geography of Europe course and have been wanting to share them ever since. 

My apologies if you find them offensive.  I had to censor some…










I don't know if you found them funny.  I did.
Also, I realize my usual amount of satire has been missing from this blog as of late.  I guess nothing's happened to fuel my sarcasm.  Or maybe I'm just a really nice person! Haha!

Xoxo!

No comments:

Post a Comment