You shouldn't label people, just blogs...

Thursday, September 16, 2010

...Because I'm Not in Austen

The best time for using internet around here is right now.  While everybody else is in the Jane Austen Literature (Brits say Lit-ra-chure) class, I have unimpeded internet access!  It is beautiful.  Even more so, cause I hear the class is not the favorite (to put it nicely).  So yes, that is one reason today is lovely.

Anywho, time for a little catch up on the last 3 days.  (Day #3, yesterday, was a Day Trip, so it will be getting it's own post)...so without further ado....

Days 14 & 15:
Monday:
Religion and Humanities, Lunch, and then off to do a field study assignment at the Nationally Gallery.  We had talked about Mannerist painters in class today so we went to view some of their paintings, and do a little write up.  I wrote about El Greco's The Agony in the Garden of Gethsemane.  Not sure I'm a fan of mannerist paintings, but the things they do with the contrast of light and darkness are pretty cool--e.g. check out Jesus's robes
(you can now say you've studied a mannerist work)


Moving on to better things....We spent the rest of the day shopping!  First stop here:

It was full of many things to lust after...but I exercised self control and  limited myself to the jewelry section.  I bought a bracelet and 2 pairs of earrings.  I plan on gifting one pair to you Rebecca--you needed a souvenir from here.  

*Boysies, don't worry, you're not forgotten.  I found the most amazing toffee caramels and I'm sending you each a few bags.  They are so good!  (Typing this my eyes are wandering over to the bag they're in and I'm so badly wanting to eat one...but i won't cause they're fo 'choo!)

Next up Anthropologie!  We had seen this riding the bus back one day and so we thought we knew where it was.  But when we walked there, we weren't seeing it.  So we decided to hop on a bus thinking to see it like before.  We did and oh it was like a block away from where we were and we had walked right past it!  I felt sheepish.  I'm blaming it on all the umbrellas obscuring my vision. (it was raining-obv) 
(not my picture)
I love this store....too much!  It had three whole floors of loveliness.  An the design of the interior is way awesome too, very cool space--they had a living wall (it was covered in all things growing)!  I bought a skirt and top--both on sale (look at me go!)  And was quite content.  

Last stop o' the day: Primark--to return Brianna's shoes.  So you know the Scrooge's song "I hate people, people hate me. People are despicable creatures"?  Probably not.  But it is a song.  I promise.  It was my mantra by the end of the day.   

Item A: Primark is like the Walmart of department stores. (Not the yuppie Draper Walmart--think more North Ogden)  There are people everywhere and crap everywhere and stuff not shelved correctly just because of the insane amounts of traffic.  (Disclaimer:  you can find really cute stuff at cheap prices...but you work out your own opportunity cost) 
Item B:  We couldn't find the dang store. 15 minutes spent locating it.
Item C:  As previously mention it was drizzling.
Item D:  It was the end of the day and we were tired.
Item E:  We had a time limit!  I'm on Kitchen Crew this week and had to be back at 4:30.
This combo wan't conducive to a great shopping experience.  Please note, due to the afore mentioned items specifically A, B, and E,  the shoes never got returned. (we will be returning tomorrow to carry out this umcompleted task)

So we went home... already sick of people from our barely 10 minutes spent at Primark (oh yeah it gets you fast), also really hating on people who stroll at a leisurely pace, smoking and there's no room to pass, and you get stuck downwind of them.  So we were like power walking down the streets weaving through people, jogging down escalators and we made it home it what must have been record time!  And I wasn't even late for Dinner Crew!

Tuesday:  


Less eventful than Monday.  Went to class. Bought fruit, and the yummy candies I talked about. Then I sat down to work on the Religion essay...I got the first paragraph done...it mostly just turned into the girls  talking about our Thanksgiving trip to Brussels and Amsterdam (keep your fingers crossed, we're asking for approval after class today...should be fine.)  That night we had tickets to War Horse so dinner was earlier.
The play was about WWI and a boy and his horse named Joey.  It was good.  Well everything but the storyline itself...all other aspects really well done...it was just that there was too much boy loves horse-horse loves boy going on for me.
So the horse was a puppet which was actually kind of cool...just watching it move kept me engaged... which was good cause the plot wasn't!

  

Ha Ha!  The slow-mo horse fight---Best part of the show.  It was all I could do not to laugh. You can see all the puppeteers here-3 per horse.  Yeah the two middle guys were under a horse's rear for the entire play.  I wonder how they will list this on their resumes??   
"Theatre includes:  Joey's Back Legs in War Horse"

**Coming soon...Viaje del día numero dos y Jirafa (es un restaurante )!  Va a ser bueno!
Xoxo!

No comments:

Post a Comment